Dr. Daniel Amen in his book Making A Good Brain Great recommends using a form of meditation known as Kirtan Kriya, also known as the SA TA NA MA meditation.
The 12 minute format of Kirtan Kriya that Dr. Amen recommends is a very easy form of meditation for busy people to practice.
The SA TA NA MA meditation is based on the five primal sounds:
- Maa and
I have found this to be a wonderful meditation.
I have struggled to meditate on a regular daily basis for decades. And while there is no doubt that the gabapentin medication is helping me to stay on track, as shown in my second SPECT Scan, I am finding that when I get up in the morning, and before goingto bed at night, I really look forward to doing Kirtin Kriya. It seems that the combination of sound (mantra) and movement (Mudra) makes a difference for me.
Dr. Amen says “I teamed with Drs. Dharma Singh Khalsa and Nisha Money to study the impact of meditation on the brain. We chose a simple 12 minute form of meditation, Kriya Kirtan, that is easy for busy people to practice. It is based on the five primal sounds: Saa, Taa, Naa, Maa (aa being the fifth sound). Meditators say each sound as they consecutively touch their thumb to fingers two, three, four and five. The sounds and fingering are repeated for two minutes out loud, two minutes whispering, four minutes silently, two minutes whispering and two minutes out loud.
“We performed SPECT scans at rest one day and then after meditation the next day. We saw marked decreases in the left parietal lobes (decreasing awareness of time and space) and significant increases in the prefrontal cortex (which showed that meditation helped to tune people in, not out). We also saw increased activity in the right temporal lobe, an area that has been associated with spirituality.
Alzheimer’s Research & Prevention Foundation & Kirtan Kriya
Alzheimer’s Research & Prevention Foundation conducted a study at the Amen Clinic in Newport Beach, California in 2003. It was a joint project between the Alzheimer’s Research and Prevention Foundation and the Amen Clinic of Newport Beach, California, affiliated with the University of California at Irvine.
What did the SPECT scan from the study show before doing Kirtan Kriya?
In one of the brain scans, we saw that the dimples in the front of the brain show a lack of complete blood flow. The area located on the back region of the brain is lumpy and asymmetrical, also due to a lack of blood flow. In the center of the brain, no thalamus is visible.
What did a SPECT scan of the same brain described above show after doing Kirtan Kriya?
A SPECT scan of the same brain showed that the dimples had disappeared, showing an increase in blood flow. The back of the brain is fuller and more symmetrical. The thalamus is now visible in the center of the brain. The thalamus controls appetite and sleep cycles, sets the emotional tone of the mind, and promotes bonding.
SPECT Scans courtesy of the Alzheimer’s Research & Prevention Foundation.
So I am looking forward to my next SPECT Scan to see what other changes we see to my brain.
When you do the Kirtin Kriya meditation you say each sound as you consecutively touch your thumb to fingers two, three, four and five. Each time you close a mudra by joining the thumb with a finger, your ego “seals” its effect in your consciousness.
Visualize or feel each individual sound come in the crown chakra at the top of the head, down through the middle of the head and out to infinity through the third eye. This is very important and must be done with each sound. It is an essential part of the cleansing process. If this part of the meditation is not done, you may experience a headache.
Kirtan Kriya 12 Minute Meditation Instructions :
- Sit with a straight spine.
- Bring your mental focus to the brow point.
- 2 minutes OUTLOUD – SA TA NA MA
- 2 minutes in an audible WHISPER – SA TA NA MA
- 4 minutes chant SILENTLY. Keep the hands and tongue moving – SA TA NA MA.
- 2 minutes WHISPER – SA TA NA MA.
- 2 minutes OUTLOUD – SA TA NA MA.
- 30 seconds: sit quietly and listen inside, hear the mantra and experience the energy flowing in throw your Crown Chakra and out through your brow (Third Eye).
- Do not do the finger movements.
- 30 seconds: inhale deeply, raise the arms up in the air and vigorously shake the arms and fingers. You can involve the whole body and spine. Exhale. Repeat 1 or 2 more time if you desire. This is an important part of the meditation as it helps move and release the energy in the body.
Relax for a few minutes before going about your day. Or relax on your back. If it is before bed time, simply go to sleep.
While doing the meditation, you may experience pictures of the past come up like on a movie screen in your mind. Let them dance in front of your eyes and release them with the mantra. This is part of the cleansing of the subconscious mind.
If emotions come up, you can also incorporate them in the chanting, i.e. if you feel anger then chant out the anger. Whatever you experience is OK. Do not try to avoid or control your experiences. Simply be with what is going on and go through it. It is all part of the cleansing process.
The bottom line is that this meditation works. All you have to do is do it. You can trust the process and the technology.
8 Amazon Prime Free Trials
There are 8 Amazon Free Trials that give you the opportunity to experience immediate benefits and savings without spending a penny.
- Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Shop Amazon - Give the Gift of Amazon Prime
- Join Amazon Prime - Watch Thousands of Movies & TV Shows Anytime - Start Free Trial Now
- Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks
- Join Amazon Prime - Listen to Over a Million Songs - Start Free Trial Now
- Join Amazon Student FREE Two-Day Shipping for College Students
- Amazon.com - Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App on Most Devices
- Shop Amazon - Contract Cell Phones & Service Plans
Amazon Prime Baby and Wedding Registries
Amazon Prime Wedding and Baby registries are a wonderful way to get going.