Africa is second in size among the seven continents accounting for 20% of the total land area on planet earth.
Africa is unique in that it stretches between the northern and southern temperate zones with the equator passing through the center of the continent providing for largely warm and / or tropical climates. However, the northern and the southern portion of Africa have more temperate conditions.
The continent includes Madagascar and various archipelago.
Africa is home to the Sahara Desert the largest desert in the world, occupying the 25% of the total area of Africa.
Oceans and Seas
Africa is surrounded oceans and seas:
- Mediterranean Sea to the north,
- Red Sea and Suez Canal are found along the Sinai Peninsula to the northeast,
- Indian Ocean to the southeast and
- Atlantic Ocean to the west.
- Burkina Faso,
- Cabo Verde,
- Central African Republic (CAR),
- Democratic Republic of the Congo,
- Cote d’Ivoire,
- Equatorial Guinea,
- Republic of the Congo,
- Sao Tome and Principe,
- Sierra Leone,
- South Africa,
- South Sudan,
- Zambia and
Africa is home to 54 countries: